Friday, January 28, 2011

Restless In Dub-Town

As a self-proclaimed night owl, I've realized that I really shouldn't listen to music past 11:30pm or else I will be up until 2-3am. But tonight is different, as I'm a day away from my last basketball tournament. The reason that I say that is the fact that after playing pick-up basketball at the local fitness center, I come home feeling like an old man. I think my joints are overdue on replacement (which hopefully in my life time, they'll have some new technology to safely replace joints) because my joints make me feel like I'm 30 yrs old some days... When I'm really only 22. So I'm pretty unprepared on what to expect from the years to come if my body can withstand the active lifestyle I want. This weekend will be the second time I've participated in this tournament (last year we placed 2nd). This year I've learned from the mistakes I made off court. (I really didn't eat anything that day, which I ended up playing 4 games? before I was able to eat anything.) So hopefully I can change that, and bring home some 1st hardware. 

Last year I was actually disappointed in myself for not winning it all, but I had a bunch of friends to keep my mind off the loss so that I could go explore the cities' Downtown area. I was able to go downtown with some of my friends as we went bar hopping to visit our high school friends that were in the area. The best part of the night was when it came to bar close, my partner in crime [VE] was trying to grab a taxi for us... so when we think he had grabbed one, he yells over to us, "I got one!"... So we check it out and it turns out to be a random dude that was just offering us a ride... Learning from all the days that my mother said, "Don't get in cars with strangers." We all ended up pulling [VE] to the side, and explaining to him that the "taxi" he had got was really not a taxi after all. But to all those that know him, trying to explain that he is wrong.. especially when he is inebriated can be very.. let's say, complicated. (I do understand that the story I just told... really sucks, I know it will only be funny to those who 1) were there, 2) know VE, 3) have heard me tell it verbally. I'm not yet very proficient in my writing skills just yet. Plus, I wasn't very sober at the time also.. so I'm probably forgetting a large portion of the story...)

Back to Basketball... My first basketball tournament was in 9th grade. (I started playing basketball through school that same year.. I was terrible, still am.. but I'm a little better than back then.) I was really introduced to basketball by my best friend, Billy. He definitely showed me how to love the game and understand it. I definitely owe him for my knowledge of the game. But back to my 1st tourny... This tournament was set outside of school and was only open to a select number of players. It was in South Dakota. So we all had to car pool with different families to get there. I remember it being one of the best road trips I've taken... It was Billy, Blaine, and I riding in a white minivan with Blaine's parents. I just remember we took out all the back seats so we could all just lay down for the entire trip and play cards/sleep. When we had gotten to the hotel, we realized that Billy's parents (who's room we were going to stay in) weren't going to make it because of car problems. It pretty much ended up that all the entire team stayed in one room watching 8 mile... Except for one that wasn't allowed to watch Rated-R movies. Sadly, I don't really remember much of the tourny except for beating Winner, SD and losing to Worthington, MN. Oh and someone in the crowd yelled chicken legs at my teammate when he was shooting free-throws. Besides that... wait, I remember seeing one of the prettiest girls I had seen at that age. That's about all I can remember besides the best road trip home. I spent $40+ dollars at the gas station we stopped at and i just remember the minivan was just packed with food, candy, and magazines. Man that was a great time. Hopefully this weekend can live up to that much fun. 

Sorry for the long delay in between posts. I've been practicing guitar a lot the past week trying to learn a couple of my favorite songs. I've been practicing a lot for my going away party but I have come to realize that the person I want to be there, won't be attending. On that note, I guess everything happens for a reason and it could always be worse.. right? 

Cheerio to the weekend and hopefully some 1st place hardware,

Alastar Swift


PS: Stay tuned, as I just realized that I have a lot of FB friends that I have no idea who they are... So check out my other blog soon, as I will be updating that one until I have troubles finding FB strangers.


No comments:

Post a Comment