Monday, January 31, 2011

Chillin' at the Holiday Inn

Well, after a long interesting weekend. I can say that I accomplished what I wanted out of the weekend. 1) Soak in the hot-tub and 2) Win the basketball tournament. I achieve both of those goals and I couldn't be anymore happier. One thing I want to bring to the table is what I call the "hot-tub effect" (I definitely know that I am not the first nor the last that will mention this but...) So what I mean by the hot-tub effect is where you have a couple drinks in the hot tub, 1) you feel fine when you are in it and then soon after you get out of the hot-tub, you are just completely hammered. (Maybe this is just me and it has happened almost every time I have drank in a hot-tub) So that was definitely my Friday night and I didn't even want to get drunk. I knew I had to wake up at 7am to get ready for the bus ride at 7:30 to the bball game at 8am. Let's just say I was quite inebriated and there were a few pictures that I do not remember. The worst part of Friday would be the fact that I only slept four hours that night and Saturday I was waking from 7 am - 6pm (when I took a short nap). Saturday was a rough one, playing a double elimination Basketball tournament which we dominated quite easily. Playing drunk/hungover most of the morning really took a toll but it was worth it. In the end we didn't lose a game and came out champs!!

This brings me to my next point. My true love in this life [so far] is basketball. (Someday I'll meet that sexy-cute girl but until then...) When I step out on that court, nothing in my life matters. No worries, no fears, nothing but happiness is on my mind. Sure losing sucks, but when I'm on that court I'm able to just focus and have a clear mind on one thing. And that is playing my favorite game in this entire world, Basketball. One of my best friends [Jitterbug] was in town and stopped by to watch a few games. It was good to see him again, we played varsity ball back in high school so it was good to catch up with him and have him watch a couple games of KU domination. Catching up with Jitterbug and having the love of the game really showed in the championship game. I had so much fun the last game that everything just started to click. My favorite moment is when I went to try and save the ball from going out of bounds and jumped over our bench. Sitting there was one of my favorite Brothers and I didn't even notice until after I landed that I had pretty much jumped over her. (I was just focused on saving the ball that everything else was just a blur) Later, she had told me that her entire life flashed in front of her eyes and then she was like "you were right in front of me and then you disappeared!"

After the game and after everyone had gotten back to the hotel. One of my Brothers had came up to me, and told me that she really enjoyed watching basketball that day. Not because of the fact we won but because I had a smile throughout the tournament. That it was just fun to watch because [I] was just out there having fun and helping other teammates enjoy the game. That really touched me because someone was able to pick up on how much I love basketball. This is where I want you to think about what is that one thing in your life that you love. Your escape from the world, to where you have no worries, no fears, and can just enjoy doing what you love. I believe everyone has one thing, one special thing that separates them from everyone else. It may be the same thing but to each individual it'll mean something way different. Personal experience is what makes us who we are and that is why I love talking and listening to other people's opinions. You never know what you can learn from even a 30-second conversation. There are some life changing things I've learned from even the shortest conversations or just witnessing a small gesture. So if you are having trouble thinking of that one thing in the world that you love, maybe it's time to sit back and realize what you love to do. We all need to take some personal time, refresh out minds, and reduce all the stress from living in this crazy world we call life.

All this basketball talk, leads me to think about my first real basketball practice. I was convinced by my best friend, Billy, to go out for 9th grade basketball. Man.. to this day, I remember how embarrassed and awful I felt after it. I knew nothing about basketball and everyone knew what was going on. I had never felt that way before and I was not a fan. Thankfully, Billy was a pretty good coach and taught me everything he knew. I guess looking back now, it really shows that sticking with something even when you think that you can't do it nor think it's right for you, is the best thing to do. I never knew that I would love basketball as much as I do now back in 9th grade when I was the worst player on the team. Also, I tried to learn how to play guitar since Highschool.. Never took the time to actually sit down and learn until Sophmore/Junior year of College. Now I couldn't imagine my life without that 6-string by my side. (true, I'm not a very good singer and I think only 3 or 4 people have heard me sing and play.. So feel special if you are part of that group!) Honestly, playing that guitar can ease my mind for those few minutes when I play my favorite songs. I guess what I'm getting at is, the fact that you shouldn't give up on things because they are tough or you don't think that you can do it. Of course there will be things that will not work out but with those things you'll learn something valuable out of at least trying. If I had given up when it got hard, I wouldn't be playing basketball nor playing the guitar. Which I couldn't even imagine my life without those two things in it.

This is to everyone that doesn't give up when it gets tough and to all those that share my love for basketball(or whatever your "special thing" is).

Cheerio & Enjoi,

Alastar Swift


PS: 8 days left in the States. Scared? Yes. Excited? You betcha. I've never flown by myself let alone on an international flight with multiple stops. I'll have to get a...

"Traveler's money belt. Frommer's says as long as you have on one of these, no-one can rob you of anything."
"Except your dignity."
"No, you just put that in your... wait, what?"
Name that movie! It's my favorite movie of all time!

No comments:

Post a Comment