Friday, April 1, 2011

The Other Sunny Side of the World

With the turn of the weather to sunny days where I can wear shorts and a T, it has been absolutely awesome. I don't know if it's the fact that I left the States with snow everywhere and I can't wait for warm weather or that it has been rainy for most of the days that I've been here and can't wait for it to stop. Either way each sunny day is a chance to discover something that I couldn't even come to imagine when exploring the city I am currently living in. As an example, I just finally ventured on the other side of campus and visited the restaurants on that side. It felt like I had just discovered a whole new world. This feeling was weird and I thought to myself... Maybe this is how the early explorers felt when they set sail for the edge of the world only to discover that the world was round. Anyways, wanting to have this feeling more I have decided to spend my spring break in Northern Taiwan to explore as most of my dorm mates will be heading to Southern Taiwan for their spring break. A couple reasons I'm staying where I am is because I don't have the time to explore where I am on the weekends as I usually spend my time discovering the nightlife until 4 or 5 in the morning... then I unfortunately sleep the entire next day away being hungover. I've tried to go explore on the next after I go out to the clubs with my friends (not from the dorm) and it just doesn't work. There are tons of people everywhere on the weekends. It's like walking out in public but it's just a massive house party and every shop/stalls/restaurant is where they keep the keg. It's just crazy. I love it here but at the same time... I don't think I could live in a big city like this.

"Small Town Boy Represent!"

But seriously, so many people. On the other hand it is great from how everything is set up. There are areas that aren't so crowded and they look amazing and I'd definitely live here if I could find a sweet job and live in those areas/neighborhoods. Back to what I was originally trying to get at: Exploring Taipei. I think it took me like 15 minutes to gather a handful of places to go visit or take a day trip that I can go to next week. Most of the people in the dorms are like, "Why do you want to stay here?" 
  • I tried to tell them that I wanted to save money so that I could go wherever I found a job but they don't quite understand why I wouldn't want to live with my parents. I have found out this side of the world they aren't quite as independent as we are in the states.
  • Then I tried to tell them that I don't have as much time on the weekends to go exploring since I go out with my buddy from the states and the two other friends I've met through him. Which is always a blast, it's nice to go to bars, clubs, and play beer pong with people that can speak fluent english. But when I try to explain this to the people at the dorms they simple say, don't go out so much... Touche´
  • So finally I figured it out. A great reason why I want to stay and explore where I'm at. This trip/ study abroad is pretty much my graduation vacation/ gift to myself... So I'm just thinking, why do I need a vacation from my vacation. Right? It's all about enjoying where you are at, not where you could be. Oh and my roommate will be traveling with me so at least I won't be alone... except we both speak minimal Chinese since he is fluent in Japanese and well for me... you guessed it, English.
I mean. Look at these bad ass things that I could be finding all around here
So speaking of my spring break, I have about 20+ places that I have in mind plus all the other places I'll find when I get sidetrack. (or lost... either way) It's going to be awesome and I'll be able to use my awful-American-Accented-Chinese out in public. One thing that is awesome and has definitely changed me a lot is that people here are so nice to Foreigners. (外國人 wai4guo2ren2: Foreigner. Gotta make this blog semi-educational!) So when I return to the States, I am going to be super nice and willing to help. (even more than I had been, 2 years ago trying to learn Chinese I realized it sucks trying to communicate when you have a little grasp on a language so I was nice to other people, but now, whole new level of appreciation.) 

Even though most people think I'm Japanese or South Korean. I try to explain that I was adopted but I was born in South Korea. It's super tough and the translation to what I try to say in broken English comes out to: My mom and dad from Korea didn't want me so they gave me to my American Parents. I hope they understand me. I know my Chinese is awful but they usually just nod their head... but to think about it now, I smile and nod my head when I have no idea what's going on... so I guess I'll have to work on that. 

What I have noticed since being here is that a lot of people are focusing their studies on very different areas than like in the States. What I have also found out many do it for the money than for the love of that certain industry. To me at this point this makes me think that this side may have many scientist/engineers/etc..., but I think what really matters is the inspiration of the individuals that make the innovative creations. Sure the government over here will be able to tell their workers to build this certain thing and they certainly will (They are very good at doing what they are told to and more specific the better). But what I have found out is that many have troubles thinking on their own or coming up with their own ideas. I know many business focused students here in the dorm and they have struggled at a very simple task relating to business presentations. Right now I feel like I should have taken at least one business course to see what the classes are like... nothing can be worse than Dub-Town can it be?! I guess I'll never know.. Unless I just sit in one... 

The only thing that I can really positively say is that I'm only learning and that much more can be in store for me. I've bee through a lot of ups and downs since I've been here and mostly it's been a personal journey of believe who I am and not letting negative people tell me who I should be. It's psychologically wearing to listen to negative people tear you down, but once you don't let them affect your life I've realized that it turns out to be 10x better than what you could have imagined it. I've been counting down the days until I return to the states, but lately I have forgotten that because I have began to hang out with a different group of friends. It's hard but at the same time I have been feeling 10x better, something we just need a change of scenery or we need to realize that something the friends we have are not always the best for us at the moment.  I know it sounds very mean and disrespectful but at the same time, we always need to grow and understand ourselves. I have a lot of learning in that department but at the same time I'm focused on one goal. I can only hope that it comes true and wish that I accomplish everything that I have tried to set up for myself. 

If there is one thing I've learned so far from studying in Taiwan is that the human mind can do almost anything that we set our minds too. Learning another language especially one that is so tonal seems to be impossible but yet somehow I am learning it and am able to speak conversations to many different people at the door. I can only ask for you to put in hard work and dedication to the things that are most important to your life because life is too short to satisfy anyone but yourself sometimes. 

Enoji and sorry for the lack of picture, I promise that next one will have plenty of pictures. UNtil then!

Enojio and Cheerio,

Alastar Swift



EDIT# Many grammar mistake due to the finishing of this post at late at night with the help of a little 啤酒。Actually a lot of it to be honest. Sorry about it and the next one will be proof read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment