Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Friend Procrastination

So I've been carried away with studying for midterm for which was the easiest thing in the world and also some test were completely impossible for me to do. Why you may ask, because a couple tests were all in Chinese characters and ZERO English. It's been a new struggle but at the same time, it is the best feeling when I sit in that desk and try to take a graded test in a foreign language. It reminds me back when I was in grade school and I got super stoked when I figured out what the question asked and then I knew the answer. I can only piece together a couple questions and kind of guess at what it is asking and then jot down the best guess I can write in Chinese. I think I hover somewhere above beginner and below advanced. They say people should spend 2 semesters abroad to get a grasp of the language and I'm starting to understand why. In the 2 months (give a week or so) I've been here I've improved greatly. I couldn't imagine how much I'd improve if I stayed in Taiwan for a whole year. It would be a crazy experience but at the same time this way of life isn't the way I want to live. It has been a great and unbelievable adventure (so far) but the lifestyle isn't for me. I'm way too picky and I miss being a health freak. (Organic food, raw vegetables and fruits, Milk, cheese, steak, and MEXICAN FOOD!) If this trip has taught me anything, it's that I love Mexican Food. Hands down the best. I always thought I liked it when I was in the States... but now since I haven't been able to eat it here in Taiwan I've realized that I love it. Tacos, burritos, nachos, chips & salsa, you name it! That is definitely one of the first things I'm going to eat when I get back home... that and Pizza.

Since it was midterms this past week, it consisted of a lot of studying and well procrastination. So I'm just going to go through a couple articles and things that distracted me and share my thoughts.

Giant Spider
- I personally hate spiders. and if you know me really well.. I'm a little girl about them. Don't ask me why, but have you ever heard of the Brown Recluse? I hadn't either until my roommate, Ty, told me about them. Scary stories about those things. They bite you and can leave a sick nasty scar on your skin because it's venom just eats away ate your skin... And just more motivation to be a little girl around them. F-those 8 legged things...

Guatemala Sink Hole
- This website is crazy (more articles to come from it). So this is a sink hole that just happened in a middle of a city. It reminds me of some plot of a Syfy movie and now some weird alien creatures will be flying out of that giant hole. I mean from the pictures it looks like there isn't a bottom to it. That is just crazy. It looks like it just ate a building up, forever sucking it down into the abyss. That is insane!

Door to Hell
- This is another giant hole in the planet we call, Earth. Except this one is on fire!? 24/7! That blows my mind and like the article states, the fire is kept alive by the natural gases that are coming from the hole. Imagine what could be down there... or even imagine if the fire made it all the way to the main source... Just a terrible disaster waiting to happen. Part of me wants to look down it, and part of me says to stay thousands of miles away from this fiery pit. Or as the article states, Door to Hell. Let's hope not.

The Rainbow Eucalyptus
- This tree is exact what I want growing in my backyard when I get older. Hands down this is one of the coolest trees I've ever seen. At first it reminded me of those old school Dr. Suess books and I was thinking, he had to have seen these things before he started making his trippy children books. If anything these trees would make one badass tree fort.

Underwater River
- This is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen/ read about. I always knew that fresh water and salt water couldn't mix and one was heavier than the other but I've never seen anything like this. It literally looks like a forest and a river, which is just mind blowing. I always used to have this dream where my entire world was underwater. It almost always occurred in the Hartley gym where I was in elementary school. I remember that I always panicked because I thought I was going to drown but then I'd have to breathe to find out that I could breathe underwater. Which then became the best dream in the world. Anyways, this underwater river just reminds me that anything is possible in this crazy place we call, Earth.

I hope that you have noticed that they give suggested links and their website is very organized and user friendly.

Until Next Time,

Cheerio


Alastar Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment