Tuesday, September 20, 2011

To All My 40 Hour Friends

So I've been fortunate enough to join many of my good friends in this game we call "Real World". You know the great 8 hour days + anything else we may have to do outside of work to help us be efficient and successful at our job.

Last week, was the first time I had put in 40 hours of work in probably almost a year and after it, I felt drained but happy. Happy that I found a job to pay my bills, and that I survived not just 40 hours of work, but also the first week of having a gym membership. There was nothing else I did NOT want to do after 8 hours of work than go to the local gym. It sucked. It left me dead almost every single night. I think I even went to sleep at 9:30 pm a couple nights in there. But when that Friday rolled around it felt amazing. From being active, accomplishing multiple things from getting a job, working out, and changing my entire diet.

Even though it was one of the hardest weeks, physically and mentally, it was well worth it. I kept riding this Accomplishment Wave that I started up and rode it well into the weekend. I woke up at 7am Saturday morning... Yes, 7am Saturday morning. I went out and had breakfast with my dear ole' Mother and Grandma. I spent the rest of the day cleaning my room, throwing numerous amounts of junk that had accumulated over the 23 years of my life, and donating a majority of my clothes to the local thrift store.

I have this fear of being owned by the products and articles of clothing that I buy. I know this sounds crazy. And I guarantee I think it's as crazy as you do. But I just have this feeling that the more stuff I buy, The more things start to own me. 

And to try and explain myself, I'll use my xbox or a favorite TV show. Now I love to spend time playing video games with my friends and to talk about TV shows with friends, espec HIMYM. 
But... 
At the same time, both things (in my mind) take up my time, where I could be pursuing different things that I really want to become good at, such as: Guitar Playing, Playing Piano, Writing (Books, Blogs, and Songs/Poems), Speaking 2nd Language, and becoming a "Life Coach". 

(I put life coach in parentheses because I know some people take advantage of this, and make money. I'd rather do it just to help my friends pursue their dreams, give them confidence and help them along their journey, and help random strangers too)

On that same Saturday, I started to write a story with my friend. Currently we are planning on it being a movie script... But I'm feeling that it may progress into my first book. I'd love to share it, but at the moment it's not copyrighted nor do I have a lot of structure to it. (It stands at 25-30 minutes of film time, So I guess there is a good amount)

And not to go into too much detail but Sunday was the most productive day since I've been back in the States. 

I guess I left out a big factor from all of this. I actually know why I have been trying to be more productive and be less of a procrastinator. I visited one of my best friends a couple weekends ago and we were talking about a video that I told him that I watched every morning. (Refer to "The One That Fell Through" and click on the link Inspiration) After that, he showed me an even better video. That hands down has changed my life. Changing by making it easier for me to get off that couch, turn off the TV, grab the guitar, grab the writing pad or grab the Chinese book. 


I hope that, it inspires you as much as it has inspired me. I hope it takes you to follow whatever it is that you want to do, whether it is to be the best accountant/finance rep or to being able to wrestle an alligator. I mean, I just finally, after 23 years, baked a batch of homemade brownies (which were LE-GIT!). I always wanted to be a Profess Cook back in High School and I've started to write again. I actually have a published poem. (Surprising, I know) 

I guess what I want to say is. Go find what inspires you. Everyone is different and we all pull different experiences/emotions the same situation. We just have to find what we are drawn to and how to keep ourselves inspired to follow that path, even if we have to venture the beginning alone. 

Much Love,


Alastar Swift



No comments:

Post a Comment