Tuesday, June 7, 2011

好久不見

Title: (hao3 jiu3 bu4 jian4) - Long Time No See

=========================================================

So it's been awhile since I've sat down and jotted some of the craziness that goes on in my head. It's been a busy past couple of week filled of the, "oh shit, I only have a couple weeks left in Taiwan!" So I've been trying to keep exploring and seeing what makes this side of the world "so different" as other's would put it. I may not have been jotting things down on this ole' laptop but surprisingly I made a few short posts in my notebook since I was hundreds of miles away from my laptop. So Here's #1

Sitting on the High Speed Rail (Taipei to Zuoying Station):

I'm sitting here (Car 4, 18D) looking out the window of the high speed train seeing the scenic night view of Taiwan as I travel from Danshui to Gaozhong. 
Left, Right, Front, and Back there are open seats but some are occupied. 
I see my reflection out the window and I think to myself... 
Damn, I've come a long way since high school. 
I have never really made a 5-year plan list where I graduated college. 
5 years ago I didn't really know anything, but I knew I wanted out of [My Hometown] and that I was going to travel the world. 
So far I have accomplished Part I of traveling the world. 
It's insane to think how much I've learned here already. 
From culture to new friends with a totally new view/perspective on life.
I've also realized all the weird things that I do that I should improve on or cut out. 
I guess it's about that time to truly try and give everything I do the same amount of effort I put on the basketball court. 

Here is #2, just some thoughts before I went to sleep:

It's crazy how much everything is different yet the same. 
Family here is Awesome, it may be because when I grew up family didn't play a big role for me. 
That's probably why I consider all my friends family. 
But this place [Taiwan] resembles everything that could happen in America or at least the same vibe/feeling. 
Sure the language barrier and definitely the different cultural things play it's role, but I really can feel at home here but at the same time it can be a whole new world. 
Language is the hardest thing but as I practice more and more I'm sure it'll get easier and easier.

People are people and geography may change enviromental differences and aspects but I feel that every human being has the same moral set. well normal human beings do. we will always find those ones who are a little off track and not all there. 
Remember We Are All One Race/Species...
Human Beings!

There are a few more jotted down thoughts and posts in my notebook, but I thought I should add a little something to this blog since it's been a while. 

It's just mind blowing to think that it's almost time to leave Taiwan. I just remember the first time I landed here and how I was just like... Oh Shit, what have I gotten myself into. This place has become one of the best places I've been too. The people, the places, the classes, and just everything I've done has been insanely awesome. It's funny how much time you have to think about your life when you can't speak all the time. It's brutally hard to be able to express and part take in all conversations since my Chinese is very limited at the moment. I've learned to listen 10x more and that sometimes I need to understand that I don't always need to express my opinion. So with all this time to think, I really have tried to sort of my life future and personal wise. It's tough to look at myself and find all the horrible things about me and the things I need to fix. It's tough to see our own flaws, but to continue to grow and become a better person I think we all need to take a step back from our lives and evaluate ourselves. When things get rough or things get down, we need to look at the situation and think: 

"What am I doing or not doing that is blocking me from what I want." "Can I fix this? and is this my fault that I'm not getting the outcome I want?" "What can I change to get what I want."

But then again, I'm a young 20-something... I know nothing about life. I still have some years to experience. I remember back in High School, I thought I knew everything to life. Baha! Awful, I look back now and think to myself... I was such a young-dumb-cocky-kid. I'm sure that in a few years I'll look back at myself now, and think the same thing. 

Good thing about life is that You can learn something new every single day. 

With that, I'll let you ponder about life and hope the best for you.

Cheerio,


Alastar Swift


PS:It's been way too long. Where have you been Stranger. Give this song a listen if you have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment