Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2nd Chance Dreams.

The topic that's been on my mind for the past 5 days are the things that I have regretted for 3 years. I dislike the quotes of living life without regret because I don't believe you can honestly live the life you want without having to make a choice that defines your life as you know it. Many people live their life without ever making that decision but does that eat them from the inside? Never being able to do what they really want to do, never possessing the confidence to put out their words and ideas at the fear of being disregarded. I couldn't imagine that. I struggle to keep my opinions and expressions to myself for 15 minutes of listening to my Professor in Taiwan speak about his wild generalizations and blatant misconceptions. I become so antsy, where I can't stop moving my legs and tapping my fingers or pencil. I'm forced to raise my hand (or speak out, which is common in these classrooms). The best thing in this life so far that I've discovered is the fact that I can learn something new each and everyday. It can be anything and that's the beauty of it. One day I could learn about the biggest caves in Asia or the next hour I could learn about the psychology of the human mind. To even build off that extent, watching documentaries aren't everything when I want to learn about the world. The best place to learn is what's right in front of you. The people that you interact with everyday. They know something that you don't. It could be the craziest information or story that you would have never thought about. It could be an opening to a whole new feeling that you never knew existed by listening to them explain what happened to them in the past.

That leads me to my next point. I will never. ever. understand the culture over here. No matter how hard I try to understand where they come from. I should re-phrase that. I have trouble understanding why they don't think about the things they are doing. Many times when I have asked why they do a certain thing or do a certain action, they answer me with a, "I don't know." or "It's just the culture." I guess it's something that I shouldn't hold myself accountable for since I've only been here for a little less than a month but at the same time... I've been told I'm a little brighter than the average human being or I just have to high of standards for myself. One aspect comes from that even though I'm on the lower side of the middle class in America, over here I'm definitely the "rich" kid. I have seen people take care of the littlest things because here it is 2 steps above being a 3rd world country. The food is so cheap because the money supply of the average customer is so small. For example, on American campuses everyone almost has an ipod. I haven't noticed near as many on this campus. This also bring me to a great aspect. People actually talk to people on campus and on the way to class. There's many times when I wondered on campus back in the states and everyone is looking down or avoiding eye contact and listening to their music. Taiwan is great to see people smiling and having a good time.. instead of the opposite.

Clothes, shoes, hair style, and glasses are just huge part over here. Clothes, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, and American Eagle are pretty huge over here and they are willing to pay top dollar for these. Shoes. The more color and flair the better. Timberlands are everywhere and are shown off to a T on every single guy and girl. They are willing to tuck in their skinny jeans into their boots just to show everyone how sleek and shiny their Timbs are. Hair styles. The guys I know spend about an hour and a half to get ready. Most of the guys own a hair dryer and have plenty of hair products to rival some of my ex girlfriends. Now I don't have anything against looking good and trying to pick up your favorite girl... but most of these guys aren't trying nor willing to talk to that said girl. Maybe it's the American culture for being the only reason to look good is to pick up that cutie that sits in the front left in your favorite class to skip. The best fashion that I've noticed while being here is the fad to wear fake glasses. People who need glasses hate wearing them and people who don't need them will buy huge frames just to wear. No lenses, just the frames. That's one of the things I just can't wrap my head around. It's culture I guess, right?

Being here for a month, I have no idea how this will help me grab my dream job. The only thing I can say is that I will definitely not forget the things I've encountered nor the people I've met. One thing that I have learned is there is no doubt in my mind that I do not want to do any sort of business on this side of the country. Flying over to this side of the planet feels like I just hopped into the Delorean and time traveled back in time. Everything from outside activities (drinking, not drinking, playing board games and card games, etc.) to just how people are make me feel that I just don't belong. It's crazy to see how people live their lives and compare and contrast to what I'm used to... One thing I have noticed is there are a lot of Mom&Pop shops that sell food. I mean that's true love right there. Seeing your significant other all day, working side by side, and then going back home with them.. Every single day. I doubt that could ever happen in America, I remember when some of my friends are always like.. argh, my gf is coming over... or aah I wish I could but I have to hang out with my gf. (I'm not sure if it works vise-versa where the girls complain about hanging out with their bf..) But I give props to these Mom&Pop shops. That's awesome, that makes me want to find a girl that I could fall asleep to and wake up to everyday and just love it.

Next blog I'll post some pictures so that it's more looking rather than reading. I've just been forgetting to take pictures. So I'll write on my hand, "Take a Picture." It's just that I enjoy the moment and the last thing on my mind is.. I should take a picture of this.

Until next time,

Cheerio & Enjoi

Alastar Swift


PS: Some days I feel in control of the game and others I feel like I'm losing. Should I just put it out there or sit here just wondering.





No comments:

Post a Comment